What is Friction & Type of Friction
It we slide or try to slide a body over a surface, the motion is resisted by a bonding between the body and the surface. This resistance is called frictional force.
Types of Friction
- Static Friction : – The force of friction that comes into play between two surfaces in contact before the actual motion starts, is called static friction.
- Limiting Friction : – The maximum force of friction, which comes into play before a body just begins to slide over the surface of another body, is called limiting friction
- Kinetic Friction : – When a body moves over the other body, then the force of friction acting between two surfaces in contact in relative motion is called kinetic friction.
- Rolling Friction : – When one body roles over the other body, then the frictional force acting between the two is called rolling friction. Rolling friction is negligible in comparison to the static or kinetic friction which may be present simultaneously.
- Sliding Friction : – When a body slides over the other body, the frictional force acting between the two is called sliding frictions. Sliding friction is also more.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Friction
- Walking is possible due to friction.
- The transfer of motion from one part of a machine to other part through belts is possible by friction.
- Brake works on the basis of friction.
- Friction causes wear and tear of the parts of machinery in contact. Thus their lifetime gets reduced.
Methods of Reducing Friction
By polishing, by lubrication, by proper selection of material, by using ball bearing the friction can be reduced to same extent.